Alright everyone, here is the only brownie recipe you’ll need to have! You might as well start stocking up on black beans and avocados now because once you’ve tasted these brownies, you’re going to be hooked! At least I hope you will be! What’s better than a chewy, chocolatey and fudgy brownie? Well for starters, they’re peanut free*, gluten free AND low fat. So if you’re like me and can’t stop eating these once you start, you won’t feel as guilty!
*(ALWAYS BE SURE TO READ THE LABEL & INGREDIENTS FIRST)!!
I’m always on the hunt for healthier versions of our favourite foods my family and I love. We try to practice healthy eating every day so when I can make them food they love that also happens to be nutritious – it’s a win-win for them AND me! These are made with black beans, and no, you don’t taste them. My kids didn’t believe me that the brownies they love so much had beans and avocado in them, until they helped me make them!
I’ve always had a weakness for brownies. The fudgier and chewier the better, right?! In fact there have been many times I’ve opted for brownies instead of a cake for mine and my husbands birthdays.
I’ve made these bad boys so many times because they only last about a day on our counter. Once I get eating these, I honestly can’t stop myself. I may or may not have had to wrap up the remaining few brownies in the pan and put them in the freezer just so my kids could have one in their lunch. 🤐
I’ll keep this short and sweet because you came here for the recipe so here you go!
Chocolate Avocado and Black Bean Brownies
- Food Processor
- 8x8 baking dish
- 1 15 oz can of rinsed and drained black beans
- 2 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- ½ large, ripe avocado + the seed if you want to** I usually forget about the other half of the avocado once I put it in the fridge so I add the whole thing PLUS the seed **see the video below
- ⅔ c good quality unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ⅔ c brown sugar, lightly packed
- ½ + 2 tbsp c dark chocolate chips 2 tbsp for topping
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Grease an 8×8 pan (I use butter)
- In a food processor add in all ingredients EXCEPT for the chocolate chips and process until mixed and smooth. If you find it won’t mix nicely, add in a TBSP of water. For fudgy brownies, the batter must be thick.
- Fold in chocolate chips and then pour the batter into your pan. Gently shake the pan a little to help the batter spread evenly.
- Sprinkle the top with the remaining chocolate chips and bake for 25 mins.
- After 25 mins, insert a toothpick to the middle of the brownies. It should come out mostly clean.Leave to cool and then devou… I mean cut into squares to share, if you must! 😉
** There was a time when I was making these and maybe I didn’t have a coffee that day, but when I started the food processor, I heard a really loud clanking noise. I had accidentally thrown in the avocado seed. Since I couldn’t/didn’t want to pick out the chunks that were now dispersed in the batter, I figured it couldn’t be that bad so I continued to blend the heck out of it and we ate still ate them and nobody but me knew!
Afterwards I did Google it so see if was ok to eat. Turns out it is! It’s also good to use in smoothies as well. I came across this video to show how to dehydrate it and the ‘proper’ way to prep it!
I want to know if you, and anyone else you may have given a crumb to, like them! Let me know!
For more great brownie recipes, click here. 🙂