These healthy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Zucchini Cookies are SO soft and yummy, they’ll soon be one of your new favourite cookie recipes! Ok, I know I say that about all of them, but these are really good! If you’ve read my post on the delicious and healthy Cheesy Zucchini Lasagna Roll Ups, you’ll know that just a few short years ago was when I discovered my love for zucchini. These zucchini recipes are so surprisingly good! You’ll want to get to your local market or veggie stand and load up! You can make supper and dessert using this veggie.
Once I had discovered that I liked zucchini the first thing I made were these cookies. This recipe is a great way to camouflage veggies in food without your k,ids really knowing. Smart, right!? Just like these Healthy Avocado Chocolate Chip Muffins, my boys instantly noticed I was trying to sneak some green stuff into their food yet again. But they’re pretty good at trying things at least once, especially if it involves chocolate! And, you don’t even taste the zucchini!
These were really quick to whip up because I used my food processor. If you don’t have one, what are you waiting for? It really makes shredding a whole lot quicker and easier.
Remember to squeeze out as much of the liquid as possible from the zucchini or else you could end up with soggy cookie batter. After shredding the zucchini, put it on a (clean) tea towel and over the sink or a bowl, keep squeezing the towel around the zucchini until you’ve drained most of the liquid.
I hope you like these. Also, if you have a lot of leftover shredded zucchini, put it into freezer bags and keep in the freezer. You’ll be able to make these year round!
Oatmeal Zucchini Chocolate Chip Cookies
- ⅓ c vegetable oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 heaping cup finely grated zucchini make sure to squeeze out as much of the liquid as possible or else your cookies may end up too sloppy
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 ½ c quick oats, divided
- ½ c brown sugar
- 1 c whole wheat flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg I don't normally like nutmeg in desserts but this just adds a hint of that flavour, omit if you don't like it
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ c chocolate chips we use dark, any flavour will work
- ½ c chopped walnuts, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- First, mix together the egg, oil and vanilla.
- Then add the brown sugar and mix again.
- To the sugar mixture, add the quick oats, flour, baking powder and soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg to a mixing bowl and mix together.
- Add flour mixture to the egg mixture and stir together until combined.
- Then incorporate the chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Next, add the zucchini and gently mix together.
- Finally, drop 1½ inch cookie balls on parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 13-14 minutes.
- shred by hand or in food processor (if using a big zucchini, make sure to first cut in half and remove seeds)
- over a large colander in the sink, squeeze as much moisture as you can out of the zucchini
- leave the zucchini in the colander in the sink and let sit for about an half an hour
- fill large (freezer bag safe) Ziploc bags with approx 2 cups of zucchini
Hope you enjoy these as much as we do!
For more cookie recipes, click here.